The Horse Lover's Bible
The Complete Practical Guide to Horse Care and ManagementBook - 2008
A handbook for total horse care discusses such topics as stable conditions, nutrition, grooming, feeding, and health problems.
Firefly Books Ltd
A comprehensive up-to-date reference on all aspects horse care and management, one that emphasizes developing insight into horse behavior. It includes checklists, step-by-step photographs and quick reference boxes to compliment the thorough text.
Comprehensive and up-to-date reference on the care and management of a horse.
In The Horse Lover's Bible, Tamsin Pickeral takes a unique approach: she provides insight into the reasons why horses behave the way they do. Following her good counsel, riders can develop rapport with their animals.
The book's straightforward layout guides the reader from assessing and purchasing a horse, to maintaining its well-being and ensuring its fitness, to preparing for competitions -- and much more. Checklist summaries appear at the end of each section. Step-by-step photographs and quick-reference boxes complement the comprehensive text.
Some of the topics covered include:
- Assessing conformation, temperament, ability and breed characteristics
- Evaluating equipment and tack for both English and Western riding
- Analyzing horse behavior and natural instincts
- Stable design, field maintenance, and nutrition
- Buying, stabling, exercising, grooming, training and showing
- Shoeing, tacking, traveling and breeding
- Step-by-step clipping, trimming, plaiting, show turnout and quarter marking
- Common ailments, and traditional and alternative therapies
- Preventive health routines in a handy year-round plan
- First-aid and emergency procedures.
The Horse Lover's Bible is a thorough and outstanding handbook for any rider.
This handbook for horse owners and riders explains how to understand horse behavior and breed characteristics, and gives detailed advice on buying, caring for, and showing the horse. Written in accessible language, the book also gives tips on saving money and stretching your budget. Material is in sections on horse basics, choosing a horse, identification and security, housing, feeding, foot care, tack, transporting, grooming, working out, breeding and foaling, and health and first aid. The reader-friendly layout includes color photos on every page, quick reference and tip boxes, checklists, margin definitions, and when-to-call-the-vet boxes. Pickeral formerly worked for the Buffalo Veterinary Hospital. She has written a previous book on horses. Annotation ©2010 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
From the critics
Age SuitabilityAdd Age Suitability
SummaryAdd a Summary
There are no summaries for this title yet.
There are no notices for this title yet.
QuotesAdd a Quote
There are no quotes for this title yet.