Today, as never before, healthcare has the ability to enhance the quality and duration of life. At the same time, healthcare has become so costly that it can easily bankrupt governments and impoverish individuals and families.
Health services research is a highly multidisciplinary field, including such areas as health administration, health economics, medical sociology, medicine, , political science, public health, and public policy. The Encyclopedia of Health Services Research is the first single reference source to capture the diversity and complexity of the field. With more than 400 entries, these two volumes investigate the relationship between the factors of cost, quality, and access to healthcare and their impact upon medical outcomes such as death, disability, disease, discomfort, and dissatisfaction with care.
- Examines the growing healthcare crisis facing the United States
- Encompasses the structure, process, and outcomes of healthcare
- Aims to improve the equity, efficiency, effectiveness, and safety of healthcare by influencing and developing public policies
- Describes healthcare systems and issues from around the globe
- Access to Care
- Accreditation, Associations, Foundations, and Research Organizations
- Biographies of Current and Past Leaders
- Cost of Care, Economics, Finance, and Payment Mechanisms
- Disease, Disability, Health, and Health Behavior
- Government and International Healthcare Organizations
- Health Insurance
- Health Professionals and Healthcare Organizations
- Health Services Research
- Laws, Regulations, and Ethics
- Measurement; Data Sources and Coding; and Research Methods
- Outcomes of Care
- Policy Issues, Healthcare Reform, and International Comparisons
- Public Health
- Quality and Safety of Care
- Special and Vulnerable Groups
The Encyclopedia is designed to be an introduction to the various topics of health services research for an audience including undergraduate students, graduate students, andgeneral readers seeking non-technical descriptions of the field and its practices. It is also useful for healthcare practitioners wishing to stay abreast of the changes and updates in the field.Lightning Source, Inc. Ebooks
Within two volumes, more than 400 signed entries and their associated bibliographies and recommended readings authoritatively cover issues in both the historical and contemporary context of health services research.